PhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Sunshine Toast & Minute to Win It

This idea is definitely late. So sorry...On our last day of school (June 29th) we had our end of the year celebration. First thing in the morning, three amazing mom volunteers made us breakfast (I provided most of the food, one generous family donated all the farm-fresh eggs). I've been doing a little breakfast with my kids for the last couple of years and I love it. Usually, it's rainbow toast and juice but this year we had hash browns, sunshine toast, scrambled eggs, toast and juice. We served the kids in the gym at lunch tables and it was wonderful! There is something about sharing a meal that can't be described-it's just that special. I could not have done it without my moms.


After breakfast, we went back to our classroom and played "Minute to Win It." I used the NBC site to show the kids what they were to do at each center. Then, I random-group generated the kids into 8 groups of three kids and off they went. They had a blast! It was so fun and engaging. Each center lasted about 6 minutes, but it could have been longer. I also should have sorted the mini marshmallows into groups of 50 because some of the kids had a difficult time with the instructions at this game. Face the Cookie was hilarious. I thought it would be impossible, but they managed to get their homemade chocolate & butterscotch (compliments of my 16 year old daughter) cookie from their forehead to their mouth without using their hands. A Bit Dicey was also cool to watch, as they piled more and more dice onto their popsicle sticks (our record was 7)! I know it's late, but if you'd like a copy of the centers, click the picture below!

To round out our day we watched "The Muppet Movie" and ate slices of watermelon. I also made each child a Memory Book and handed these out for the kids to look at. In each book I included their All About Me pages, a math project they had completed, a piece of artwork, a journal entry from the first day of school and the last day of school (photocopied side by side to see growth), their solar system glog page, an autograph page and a special page that I created for each child with their first day of grade 2/3 picture and a recent picture, a poem and an inspirational quote. Yes, I was up waaaaaaaaay too late the last week of school :)

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, my husband made sunshine toast for me this morning (minus the happy face) :). I love that idea for the end of the year! I'm definitely pinning it for next year. You are so right, there is something special about sharing a meal together. Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartwarming to see how happy the kids are to share a meal together. Cheesie, I know, but special :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great last day together!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!