PhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I have been BLOGGY TAGGED!

What a great start to my week...I have been bloggy tagged by two lovely ladies. Miss DeCarbo at Second Grade Sugar and Spice and Michelle at Teach 123 have both made me "it." If you haven't checked out their blogs yet, you should. They are awesomely fantabulous. **WARNING: this is a long (yet enjoyable) post.

Here are the rules of  BLOGGY TAG:


1.  Post the rules
2.  Post 12 fun facts about yourself on the blog post.
3.  Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and then create 12 new questions for the people
 you tagged.
4.  Tag 12 people and link them in your post.
5.  Let them know that they have been tagged.
 


12 Fun Facts
1. I have three middle names. My dad really really wanted my name to be KERI-LYNNE but my mom said no way disagreed. Instead, they made Lynne a middle name...along with JEAN and LOUISE. I haven't ever met anyone with three middle names. I don't even fill out all of them on applications. There isn't enough room.
2. I started dating my husband when we were both 15. We've been together for 21 years. I feel old just typing that little tidbit.
3. I was in rhythmic gymnastics in grades 7-8. I was not coordinated at all and would frequently tangle the ribbon around my ankles.
4. I like doing the dishes. I find it kind of relaxing and like how it transforms my kitchen from eeeeeekkkk to ahhhhhhhh.
5. I have three kids. Beth is 16, Abbi is 13 and Logan is 9. I feel blessed to have such great kids and we have a very close relationship. My daughters ask me lots of questions and tell me lots of info (some of which I definitely probably don't need to know).
6. My nickname at work is KiKi because my initials are KK...I suppose it was easy to add a couple vowels in there to make a word.
7. I live in rural Ontario, Canada. The closest city is 40 km away...and has only 100 000 people in it. The biggest city I have ever been to is Toronto...and it's 2 000 km away.
8. I love to cook. I wish I had more time to explore and try out the recipes I keep pinning.
9. I have, what has been described as, a wicked sense of humour. I love to make people laugh...
10. I have been a bridesmaid six times. I feel honoured to have the opportunity to share in such meaningful, wonderful experiences. I've even been a bridesmaid for the same friend at two of her weddings!
11. I am envious of the artistic talent that so many bloggers have...they make such lovely (and gosh darn cute) activities to go with their units. I wish I could do something half as excellent. {sigh}
12. I can hit a ball VERY far in baseball. Like to the fence far. Which is lucky because I can't catch, throw or run the bases. Once (or ten times) I have got nailed in the kisser when trying to catch a fly ball...thinking that it would just kinda land in my glove...AWFUL player.

Responses to Second Grade Sugar and Spice
1. What is your favorite item in your classroom?
My SmartBoard. I love it so very much.
2. What was one thing you've learned since your first year of teaching?
Connect before you direct. I spend lots of time getting to know my students and letting them get to know me. There is still that line (we aren't friends) but I want them to know how much I care.
3. What is your favorite subject to teach?
Literacy. Although I also love to teach Math...
4. Do you have a pet peeve?
Yes. When kids say "Huh?" instead of "Pardon" or "I didn't hear you..."
5. When do you teach reading? Morning or Afternoon?
First thing every morning.
6. What is the first thing your students do when they arrive in the morning?
Have a healthy snack. Some of my students have been on the bus for over an hour and need something to snack on.
7. What is your favorite unit that you teach?
I don't teach the same unit each year, but one that I did teach last year and LOVED was fairy tales.
8. If you could have any piece of technology in your classroom, what would it be?
A document camera for the SmartBoard
9. Where were you born?
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
10. How often do you switch seats/desks in your classroom throughout the year?
Once every 5-6 weeks. However, I will move students around who aren't learning where they are sitting when necessary
11. Name an intervention program that you use in your school.
Good Readers' Club for those kid who read significantly under grade level
12. Describe a memorable moment you have had during your teaching career.  
During a District Review, I had two superintendents, three principals, two government people and the director of education in my classroom for twenty minutes. They were asking the kids questions about IR strategies etc..s.t.r.e.s.s.f.u.l!! They even went through Reading Response books and bins. 

Responses to Teach 123 
1.  Do you prefer chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla?
Either chocolate or vanilla...don't like strawberry
2.  Who is your favorite recording artist?
Pink or Queen or Elton John...but I love lots of different types of music so it depends on my mood...also love Adele
3.  What is your favorite cereal?
Honey Nut Cheerios with Puffed Wheat mixed in
4.  What color is your vehicle?
Black
5.  Name 3 songs on your iPod.
Bad Romance (Lady Gaga), That Summer (Garth Brooks), Santa Monica (Theory of a Deadman)
6.  Do you prefer winter or summer?
Summer...even though it's soooo short
7.  Do you prefer mountain hideaway or beach house?
Hmmmm....mountain hideaway if it has a fireplace, comfy couch, big windows and lots of books
8.  Who is your favorite book character?
Alex Delaware from Jonathon Kellerman's books
9.  What is your favorite t.v. show?
Right now it's The Mentalist...although I also love Modern Family and Big Bang Theory
10. What are you really afraid of?
Mice and rats (shudder)
11. What is your favorite restaurant?
The Prospector (a local steak house)...they have a salad bar, unlimited buns/soup and the best steak in town
12. What is the best thing about teaching?
The kids and making some kind of a difference in their lives. Academic or emotional, doesn't matter which.

My Questions
1. What do you do to de-stress?
2. Describe your favourite dinner?
3. What do you do on Friday night?
4. Do you have any hobbies?
5. Why did you start blogging?
6. Would you rather teacher 20 eighth graders or 30 first graders?
7. How far do you live from where you grew up?
8. Would you ever teach a member of your family (eg child, nephew, niece). Why or why not?
9. Do you want to be a principal someday?
10. Do most people seem pleased or upset when you tell them that you are a teacher?
11. How long does it take you to get to work?
12. How much time a week do you spend planning, preparing etc (other than the time spent at school)?

I have TAGGED...



Caitlin from Ms. Preppy

Tracey at Our Cool School



And now, I am d.o.n.e!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about yourself. Don't worry about cutesy activities/units. It's good teaching that makes the difference, which no doubt, you've got in the bag!

    Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and followed! Precious!

    Peace, Love and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! I'm totally jealous of your ability to hit a baseball haha. I have zero athletic ability! :)

    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great blog. I recently found it. I am pretty new to blogging. My recent blog posts include Literacy Centers from Household Objects and CD Case Learning Centers.

    Dawn
    http://www.literacymathideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dishwasher broke this week. I'm totally lost without it!!!! I almost needed a refresher on how to wash dishes.

    I'm your newest follower. Cute blog.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!