PhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Advice for New Teachers


Cindy from Fun in Fourth Grade! is having a linky party where we are sharing words of wisdom to help out new teachers. What piece of advice do I have that may make a new teacher's first year a little easier? Hmmmmm....
1) Sounds silly, but get a good night's sleep. The first year I taught I stayed up past midnight planning, planning, planning so that each day would be perfect. What happened? Well, life got in the way. Things do not go according to plan 100% of the time and when something happened that I hadn't prepared for it was rather difficult to deal with (since I was TIRED from all my planning).

2) Be flexible. This kind of goes with the above tip. Roll with the paunches, so to speak. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

3) Make friends with your colleagues but not your students. Teaching is an isolated profession. Make sure that you spend some time everyday touching base with your coworkers.

4) Make time for yourself. Go for a walk, have a manicure or read a non-teaching related book. This is REALLY important so that you don't overload or burn yourself out.

So, hop on over to this linky party and share the advice that you have for new teachers!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Keri, thank you so much for linking up to my party! You have some great advice!! I really like #4 it is SO important to not lose ourselves in our jobs, we have to have time to do the things we like to do that are not teaching related.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!