PhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tony Stead-Teaching Nonfiction Writing

I received this book in the mail last week and have just finished reading it. I love the ideas and lesson plans that are outlined throughout. One idea that I especially like for September is getting the kids to write biographies about each other. Hmmmmmm...Sounds like fun to me!
These are the recommended steps to this unit: 1)Have every child write a baseline biography of their partner with no prior teaching. 2)Assess where each child is using a master list and skills required. 3) Immerse the kids in biographies about actors, singers, etc (their interests). 4) Plan, plan, plan biography together. 5) Write a biography together on one person (ie teacher, pop star...) 6) Partners write biographies again. 7) Compare pre and post unit biographies.

I am looking forward to trying this out. It is a twist on the getting to know me theme of September.